FAQ / TIPS
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS AND PROJECT TIPS
Who is Amazon Commerce Pty Ltd?
WE HAVE NO TIES OR IS IN ANY WAY AFFILIATED WITH AMAZON USA.
It is a young company who saw the need of locally produced flanges for the South African market. We have developed these high quality flanges for all DIY people or any other person who would like to start making unique items for their home or by selling the items made and generate an extra income. Or use it for any purpose you see fit.
Now you can have a reliable product locally produced without the hassle of importing flanges from China or elsewhere.
May we collect instead of having our parcel delivered?
Refer to the contact page for more information.
Card payment through the website, EFT after quote is received, SnapScan or with Credit / Debit card at our office.
I have not received my delivery, and the stated delivery time has passed?
On rare occasions or in remote areas delays can happen. If the expected delivery times are exceeded significantly, please contact email@example.com with your order number and we will try to understand what has happened with your shipment and update you.
I have tracked my order and the courier company has been 2km away for the past hour, what should I do?
We make use of a number of different couriers to deliver our awesome products to you. We do however have a fantastic system in place that lets you check up on the status of your delivery, as well as send you emails to keep you in the loop. That way, you always can easily see what is happening with your delivery.
If you still need more information though, simply get in touch with us on firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll get right on it.It is 16h00 and I have still not received my delivery, what should I do?
When we book deliveries with our courier company it is standard to request a delivery before 16h00. This does not always mean that delivery will take place before 16h00, on rare occasions the courier company may deem your delivery address an outlying area (especially residential addresses) and as a result only deliver after 16h00. Should you need to leave the address after 16h00 for any reason and are afraid you will miss the delivery, please note that our courier company has been instructed to give you call, and attempt delivery the following week day, should no one be available at the time of delivery.
Do you ship international?
Currently we deliver only in South Africa.
Can I buy wholesale from you?
No wholesale prices available but may give a percentage discount on different quantities purchased.
Discounts percentages given will be to Amazon Commerce own discretion and is not guaranteed.
What are these flanges used for?
Used with commonly available galvanised pipes and fittings from your local hardware store. These type of flanges are used in the furnishing industry by crafty DIY people who make industrial look furniture, lamps etc for themselves or by entrepreneurs selling to the public. Can also be used for any purpose you see fit.
These type of furniture or decorations are popular abroad in countries like USA and Europe but in the last year or so this hype has started to spill over to South Africa. On social media like Pinterest the popularity is clearly noticeable. Click here to see some examples of where they are used.
What are the weight and dimensions of these flanges?
|15 mm Flange|
|Base diameter||75 mm|
|Base thickness||5 mm|
|20 mm Flange|
|Base diameter||85 mm|
|Base thickness||5 mm|
|25 mm Flange|
|Base diameter||90 mm|
|Base thickness||5 mm|
When assembling a project it happens that due to the design it makes a sqaure / rectangular shape which we call a closed loop. It is then difficult to screw in the 4th pipe. There is no reverse thread available but there are ways to overcome this issue:
- if possible, screw the pipe in as far as possible on the one side, align the pipe on the other side and then screw it out again to screw in the opposite side. It does become tricky but if succcesful, you will find that the pipe is many times loose. Clean the threads properly with thinners or acetone, add a proper thread lock or strong epoxy after inserting / fitting the pipe on the threads and leave to dry.
- Other option and one we always make use of is to add a Union fitting (refer to the Galvanied Fittings section / catalogue). It basically splits open, thus on either side the pipes are properly fastened and union fitting then locked afterwards. Making it very much less frustrating to assemble closed loop projects. The pipe measurements need to be accurate, about 15-20mm shorter on either side but we can assist you with this.
PAINTING OF GALVANISED PIPES / FITTINGS
All our pipes and fittings are provided in galvanised silver as standard option, however we can quote you to have it powder coated in a different colour, usually in black or other.
If you do not want to opt for powder coating and want to DIY colour your project, do we recommend the use of the product called RUST-OLEUM and is available at most hardware shops. It works beautifully on the galvanise items. First clean all pipes and fittings properly with thinners, acetone or other and spray on. No need for primer as they are usually not needed, according to Rust-oleum.
COST SAVING TIPS
Projects which make use of a lot of flanges, especially the shelving frames, can be become quite costly.
There are a few ways to save some cost:
- for shelving frames: opt to have only on every other / 2nd level a flange if it will not carry heavy items. The level with no flange are then finished off with an end cap fitting.
- have the pipe frame rather go through the wood, the timber will rest on top of the Tee fitting underneath and on the other end rest on an Elbow fitting. We can assist you with this design if you contact us.
HOLE SIZES FOR PIPE GOING THROUGH WOOD
If you design is as such that a pipe must go through wood, then we recommend the following hole sizes for the most commonly used frames:
- 15mm pipes: use a 24mm spade drill bit or hole saw
- 20mm pipes: use a 28mm spade drill bit or hole saw
- 25mm pipes: use a 34/35mm spade drill bit or hole saw